The Residence app will get numerous consideration in iOS 16 with a totally refreshed design. Additions and modifications within the overhauled expertise embrace a brand new UI and iconography, customizable sections, contemporary wallpapers, a extra seamless expertise, and extra.
The Residence app has been ripe for enhancements for some time and this yr with iOS 16, Apple is delivering a significant replace for the HomeKit expertise.
iOS 16 is at the moment obtainable as a free public or paid developer beta. Be taught extra about putting in iOS 16 in our full information.
iOS 16 Residence app: What’s new and the way does it work?
Right here’s an in depth have a look at what’s new within the iOS 16 Residence app…
New UI and iconography
The default structure of the iOS 16 Residence app now has:
- New high class buttons
- HomeKit cameras are on the high of the app, beneath are Scenes and Favorites
- Lastly, you’ll see your different units organized by Room
- Many of the HomeKit system icons have been both completely up to date or given a slight refresh
For the brand new high class buttons, new performance contains displaying all HomeKit units, Scenes, and knowledge which can be associated to it.
For instance, tapping the Local weather high class exhibits my Ecobee sensible thermostat, our HomeKit-enabled ceiling followers (Lutron Caseta), temperature and humidity, as properly Scenes that embrace any of these “Local weather” units.
Adjustments to how buttons work
One of many notable updates within the Residence app is a giant shift in how the buttons work to regulate HomeKit units.
In iOS 15 and earlier, you’ll faucet a tool tile to show it on or off and long-press to get the extra detailed management UI with issues like colours, sliders, and so on. for fine-grain management.
Now within the iOS 16 Residence app buttons behave like this:
- Faucet on the far left (circle icon) to show units on and off
- Faucet on the center or proper facet of a button to see the detailed management UI
- Lengthy-press to see edit/customizability choices and system particulars
One other new characteristic is the choice to resize system buttons, it’s a bit hidden however right here’s the way it works:
In iOS 15, the choice to entry the Residence app’s settings was fairly buried. Now within the iOS 16 Residence app, Apple has moved total settings and different customization buttons to the highest.
The + icon within the high proper nook contains the choice so as to add an Accent, Scene, Automation, Room, Individuals, or a New Residence.
A very nice enchancment with the iOS 16 Residence app is the flexibility to reorder sections. As proven within the picture above, “Reorder Sections” allows you to customise the general group. And selecting “Edit Residence View” allows you to reorder units in a given class (beforehand obtainable in iOS 15).
New iOS 16 Residence app wallpapers
One other good replace is completely new wallpapers. The one proven off within the screenshots above is one in all them with 10 whole lovely gradient selections – after all, you’ll be able to nonetheless use a customized photograph too. All the built-in wallpapers seem like new.
- Faucet the three-dot circle within the high left nook of the Residence app
- Select Residence Settings
- Swipe to the backside
- Faucet Select from Present below Residence Wallpaper, then the built-in choices are on the high
iOS 16 Residence app tidbits
Extra particulars embrace:
- Automation tab and expertise are principally the identical
- Rooms are actually discovered below the three-dot icon within the high proper nook
- The Uncover tab stays on the backside of the Residence app to get new concepts
- iPads will work as downgraded Residence hubs
- Matter integration coming later this yr
What are you most enthusiastic about with the brand new iOS 16 Residence app? Share your ideas down within the feedback!
Learn extra 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We use earnings incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. Extra.
Take a look at 9to5Mac on YouTube for extra Apple information: